NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. MANY WILL ENTER, THREE WILL WIN.
1. Eligibility: The You Be The Writer Contest (the “Promotion”) is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, who are between 6 and 17 years of age and located in the U.S. at the time of entry. Employees, contractors, directors and officers of Boys’ Life magazine (“Sponsor”), and its respective parents, subsidiaries and affiliated companies, distributors, licensees and the advertising, fulfillment, judging and promotion agencies involved in the development and administration of this Promotion (collectively, “Promotion Parties”), and their immediate family members (parent, child, sibling and spouse of each) and those living in the same households of each are not eligible. Void elsewhere and where prohibited by law.
2. Promotion Period: The Promotion begins at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on September 15, 2013 and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on December 31, 2013 (the “Promotion Period”).
3. How to Enter: During the Promotion Period, go to http://boyslife.org (“Website”), click on the promotion link and complete all required registration information and upload a story ending. The person uploading the story ending will be deemed the entrant (the “Entrant”). Entrants must complete all required information. Entrants can submit more than one entry, but each entry must contain a different story ending. Identical entries will be discarded.
4. Entry Requirements: In order to be entered in the Contest, Entrants must comply with registration instructions when submitting their story ending.
The story ending must NOT contain personally identifiable information such as last names, addresses, e-mail addresses or URLs. By entering, you understand that your entry may (in Sponsor’s sole discretion) be posted online or published for readers to view. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of an Entrant, the Entrant will be deemed the legal owner of the e-mail address appearing on the Entry.
The Entry may not contain obscene, lewd or inappropriate text, as determined in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Any Entry Material or portion thereof that is, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion, obscene, profane, lewd, defamatory, contains any third party materials, or otherwise violates or infringes (or may infringe) any copyright, trademark, logo, mark that identifies a brand or other proprietary right of any person living or deceased (including but not limited to rights of privacy or publicity or portrayal in a false light) or entity, or is otherwise objectionable, will not be considered and may disqualify the Entrant. Entrants may not copy or otherwise plagiarize the Entry Material from any source. Sponsor has the sole discretion to determine whether a story ending qualifies as an Entry. All Entries must be the sole, original work of the Entrants. Entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Entrants and winners acknowledge and agree that their Entries become the property of the Sponsor, which thereby has the right to edit, adapt, modify, reproduce, promote and otherwise use Entries in any way it sees fit. Automated, script, macro or robotic Entries submitted by individuals or organizations will be disqualified. If, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, the Entry appears to have resulted in any injury or bodily harm, it will be rejected. Entries must be in keeping with Sponsor’s image and may not be offensive, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, nor can it defame or invade publicity rights or privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person’s personal or proprietary rights. In such an event, the Entry will not be posted online and will be disqualified from the Contest. Any Entry not in compliance with the above and does not meet the Websites’ requirements will be disqualified. By entering, you agree to waive any rights you may have to the Entry submitted.
5. Winners: A panel of judges will select three winners. Judging will be based on the following criteria: originality, creativity, and overall appeal. Winners will be announced in the June 2014 issue of Boys’ Life magazine.
6. Prizes, Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) & Odds: One (1) First-Place Prize: Kindle Fire HD 16GB and a $100 Amazon.com gift card (ARV: $300). One (1) Second-Place Prize: A $75 Amazon.com gift card (ARV: $75). One (1) Third-Place Prize: A $50 Amazon.com gift card (ARV: $50). Total ARV of all prizes is $425. No substitution, cash redemption or transfer of prizes is permitted except at Sponsor’s sole discretion. If a prize, or any portion thereof, cannot be awarded for any reason, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. All federal, state and local taxes, and all other costs associated with acceptance or use of the prizes, are the sole responsibility of the winner. Arrangements for delivery of prizes will be performed after winner validation. Odds of winning any prize depend on the number of entries received. Winners will be notified by email. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded.
7. Privacy information: Online contact information will be collected from entrants for the sole purpose of a direct one-time response to contact winners. Contact information will be destroyed at the conclusion of the promotion.
8. General Rules: All federal, state and local laws apply. Potential winners’ parent/legal guardian, if the winner is a minor, may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release of Liability and a Publicity Release within ten (10) days of attempted delivery or prize will be forfeited. The return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable or failure to return any documents in a timely manner may result in disqualification and an alternate winner may be chosen. By participating, participants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless Promotion Parties from and against any and all liability or damages associated with this Promotion or acceptance, use or misuse of any prize received in this Promotion. Promotion Parties are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer or administration of the Promotion. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for the Sponsor and its agencies to use winners’ names and likenesses for purposes of advertising and publicity without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. By participating in this Promotion, participants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and decisions of the Sponsor, which shall be final in all matters relating to the Promotion. Promotion Parties are not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, stolen, illegible, inaccurate, damaged, incomplete, non-delivered or postage-due mail; or for printing, distribution or production errors or for technical, hardware, software, or telephone malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the user or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Promotion, or by any human, or other error, which may occur in this Promotion. If, in the Sponsor’s opinion, there is any suspected or actual evidence of tampering with any portion of the promotion, or if technical difficulties compromise the integrity of the promotion, the Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify suspect entries and/or modify or terminate the promotion in a manner deemed reasonable by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an entry, entries will be declared made by the person’s name submitted at time of entry. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any individual who tampers with the Promotion or Website or acts in a disruptive manner. This Promotion is offered only in the United States and is governed by the laws of the State of Texas. By entering, entrants irrevocably consent to the sole and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the State of Texas located in the county of Dallas for any action, suit or proceeding arising out of or relating to this Promotion.
9. Waiver: By participating in this Promotion, participant waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages, attorneys’ fees or any damages other than actual out-of-pocket costs incurred to participate.
10. Winners’ List: To receive a copy of the Winners’ List for this Promotion (available after 5/31/14), mail a self-addressed, stamped #10 envelope to be received by 6/30/14 to: Winner’s List, You Be The Writer Contest, 1325 W. Walnut Hill Lane, P.O. Box 152079, Irving, TX 75015-2079.
11. Sponsor: Boys’ Life magazine, 1325 W. Walnut Hill Lane, P.O. Box 152079, Irving, TX 75015-2079